Mariachi Magic: A Journey Through Time and Tune

Like many Americans, I was largely exposed to mariachi music through the Disney movie, Coco. Set in the Mexican town of Santa Cecelia, Coco tells the story of 12-year-old Miguel, an aspiring mariachi who has to hide his talent for and love of music from his entire family. The patriarch of the family was a musician who abandoned his wife and child for fortune and fame. As a result, no one in the family is allowed to play or enjoy music.

This is a shame not only because Miguel possesses natural talent but also because mariachi is such a joyful expression of music. Known for upbeat rhythms and energetic melodies, mariachi has become synonymous with celebrations like weddings, festivals and quinceañeras. I learned that mariachi is both a noun and an adjective, meaning that a mariachi could refer to an entire band, a single musician or an instrument used to create the music, such as a guitar, harp or trumpet.


Mariachi Cobre is an ensemble that performs at Epcot Center. In the early days of the pandemic, they came together to perform “The World es Mi Familia” from the movie. I included this clip because though they’re performing separately, it still comes together to show the powerful sound of mariachi.



Mariachi music has a unique sound that is due in part to several instruments being played by multiple musicians at the same time. This is one way that mariachi bands create such a big, loud presence. Multiple instruments also help create the layered sound of mariachi. Some of these instruments include trumpets and many different members of the strings family, including harps, violins, six-string acoustic guitars and several instruments I’d never heard of. 


One is the vihuela, a five-string instrument that complements the acoustic guitar. Its high pitched sound is often used for harmony in contrast to the melody provided by the guitar. The guitarrón looks like an oversized guitar and produces a low bass sound. 


Singers are also an integral part of a mariachi band, with each voice blending to create perfect harmony. I learned that there is no single lead singer and often the musicians take turns singing lead, often within the same song. 


The timbre of mariachi songs can drive the listener to feel strong emotions. It is characterized as polyphonic because there are multiple melodies and harmonies being played at once by many different instruments within the ensemble. Melodies are often played by violins and trumpets, with guitars, vihuelas and guitarróns providing harmony. Mariachi creates a party-like atmosphere that makes the audience want to celebrate and rejoice. However they are also known for romantic boleros, or love songs.


Mariachi can also evoke a sense of cultural pride in some listeners. Mariachi music is deeply tied to Mexican heritage and traditions. It originated in western Mexico, especially in Jalisco, and has become a famous symbol of Mexican culture worldwide. It's a way for Mexicans to express their identity and pride, showcasing their diverse history and spirit. During the Mexican Revolution (1910-1920), mariachi music gained further prominence as it became associated with the revolutionary spirit and Mexican national identity.


Classic Mariachi


Though Ritchie Valens brought “La Bamba” into mainstream American music in 1958, it is a traditional son jarocho wedding song originating in the Mexican state of Veracruz. I chose La Bamba because the movie starring Lou Diamond Phillips came out in 1987 when I was 6 years old and it captured my complete attention. I had no idea what I was hearing but I knew I liked it! I’m sharing both a traditional version of the song so we can hear both the similarities and differences between the 1939 (Mexico) and Valens’s 1958 (American) recordings. 


For instance, you’ll notice that the 1958 has no discernible classical mariachi instruments (I can only hear electric guitar, bass and drums) but I included it because of the significance of Valens introducing a traditional Mexican song to the mainstream American music scene. It was a huge hit and there’s no telling how far he would have gone had he not been tragically killed in 1959 at the age of 17.




Modern Mariachi


I came across Edgar Alejandro while researching modern forms of mariachi. While most of the performances I found leaned towards electronica and pop mixed with mariachi. Alejandro’s style feels more like mariachi crossed with coffee shop jazz. This song, “A tu lado” (Mexico, 2023, Edgar Alejandro) is very soothing; it feels like something you could put on when you need chill vibes to work to.



Women in Mariachi


Mariachi is steeped in machismo, however there have been some barrier-breaking women throughout the past 120 years who have made their mark on the genre. The first woman documented to perform in a mariachi band was Rosa Quirino in 1903. It took 45 years for all-female mariachi band to arrive on the scene. In 1948, Las Adelitas was formed in Mexico City after their director saw an all-female tropical orchestra perform in Cuba.


In 2009, The Mariachi Divas became the first mariachi band to ever win a Grammy and have since won twice. In this video they are performing a mariachi take on the famous Miami Sound Machine hit, “Conga” (American, 1985, Enrique Garcia) but they also perform more traditional and original songs.



Children in Mariachi


As referenced in my opening paragraph, mariachi also captures the hearts of children performers, as was the case with Coco’s Miguel. Before moving back to Alaska last summer, my family lived in the suburbs of Houston, Texas for 6 years. In 2023, a young performer named Eduardo Antonio Treviño gained national recognition for his amazing musical ability. 


At only 11 years old, Treviño gave a rousing performance on the America’s Got Talent stage, advancing to the qualifier stage where he performed “Remember Me” (American, 2017, Robert Lopez, Kristen Anderson-Lopez) in Spanish and English with the accompaniment of a mariachi band.


I wish I had this kid’s stage presence and confidence! He is a wonderful young performer and will help bring mariachi into the next generation. Stay tuned for more from Eduardo!



Sources:

Wikimedia Foundation. (2024, March 6). Mariachi. Wikipedia. 

Esparza, I. (2024, February 1). A brief history of mariachi music: Save the music. Save The Music Foundation. 

Wikimedia Foundation. (2024b, March 14). Coco (2017 film). Wikipedia. 

Salinas, B. (2016, August 23). In mariachi music, a distinctive yell speaks to the soul. NPR. 

Reyna, F. (2021, September 21). The Women of Mariachi: Breaking Barriers in a machismo culture. She Shreds Media. 

YouTube. (2023, May 26). “Divas conga” official music video - mariachi divas de cindy shea. YouTube.

Indiana University Bloomington. (n.d.). La Bamba: The Sounds of Mexico. Omeka RSS.



Comments

  1. Coco was an excellent bridge for me to this style of music as well. After watching the movie with my son I was blown away by the music. I specifically agree with you on the dynamics of Mariachi, all of the instruments playing alongside each other are wonderful to listen to and give off so much emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you did an amazing job of describing this style of music. I think that most people (myself included) know what the sound of mariachi is but not necessarily the specifics. I never knew that it could be one person or a group, I always thought it had to be a group. I have also never seen Coco so now I may just have to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Coco the film. It’s my top favorite Disney film. I absolutely love how they embodied the music so well and they made live performances in celebration of the day of the dead. I think you did a great job explaining the focus which is Mariachi music. I was surprised to see this as a topic since I was expecting a place more than a style of music but I still think you did an amazing job! I love mariachi music. I think if you love mariachi, please listen to Christian Nodal, he’s a very famous Mariachi singer. His music is mostly in spanish but you can find the translation and it’s so poetic his music that it’s extremely romantic and also heart breaking. I actually got my mother into Mariachi music because it’s not really famous in El Salvador and mostly central regions because of the hidden feud between Mexico and Central America. She really enjoys it now and I think it can be considered a very romantic form of music for how many singers and songwriters portray romance into it. Great job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariachi music to me sounds very festive. I always get the feeling that I am celebrating something when I hear this music. I usually associate this music with dining in a Mexican restaurant. My first experience with this music came from an old video game called Tropico. I didn't realize mariachi music included more modern instruments like the electric guitar. I kind of like the older style more with the acoustic guitar and trumpets. I agree with your statement about this music bringing strong emotions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Ain't No Road Too Long" - A Musical Analysis

My First Blog Post

Canadian Chanteuse Céline Dion Conquers the Pop World